I run a small business. I have business personal property worth several thousand dollars. However, the appraisal district committed a gross error and estimated the value of my personal property at ten times it’s reasonable value. I ignored the issue given the gross error. Now a law firm is suing me for more than $20,000 in taxes, penalties and interest. How can I fix this mistake?

It is probably not possible to remedy the error at this point unless the appraisal district assessed you for property that does not exist. For example, if they assessed you for $90,000 of inventory and you do not have any inventory, you can probably get this part of the valuation stricken using a correction protest. However, property owners are well advised to monitor property tax assessments on an annual basis. It is very difficult to correct errors for prior years.