Alabama (AL)

Official State Website
Capital Montgomery Largest City Birmingham

How to Appeal Property Taxes in Alabama

If you believe your property value is too high, you may file a written protest with the County Board of Equalization (BOE). Property owners are given 30 days from the date of the notice of value to file an appeal. Upon your appeal, you will be contacted by a county appraiser to review your valuation. If, after this review, you are still not satisfied with your valuation, a hearing will be set for you to formally meet with the BOE to present information you believe justifies a change in value. Following this hearing, you will be notified of the decision of the Board of Equalization. The Code of Alabama 1975, Section 40-7-71 states that any property owner may appeal from the finding of the county board of equalization. Such appeal shall be to the Circuit Court of the county where the property is located. Appeals may be made to Circuit Court within 30 days of the date of the final decision of the Board of Equalization. In order to preserve your right to carry the appeal to Circuit Court, taxes must be paid by December 31 or a bond filed in Circuit Court in double the amount of taxes due.

Visit the State Property Tax Site For More Information
Go Back